Who doesn’t love something NEW? There is something special about “new things”. Whether it is new money, a new book, a new baby or a new year, everyone seems to relish in the beauty of untainted items or a fresh start. For me, I LOVE new days, new months but especially a new year! I, like so many others, sit down at the start of a new year and take a hard look at where I have been and where I want to go. I look for the things that went well, and for the things that need to change. This is where looking at habits, routines, and goals come into play.
However, like so many, I am also very aware that while it’s great to start the year with all of these goals, the reality is that many of these well laid plans go by the wayside very quickly as life happens! And these unfulfilled goals have potential to bring so many negative thoughts: “I am such a failure”, “I can’t do anything right”, “why can’t I be like her”, “I am such a loser…” and the list goes on and on for so many. Failed goals, unreached dreams are such a recipe for negativity and this is not how I want to live this NEW year!
So, as I sit and ponder what the New Year – 2020- means to me, I have decided to take a different approach. Instead of looking at where I have been or where I am going, I am going to focus on what God’s word says about where I AM today.
- I am CHOSEN. This means that when God picked teams, He picked me! Eph. 1:4 Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.
- I am ACCEPTED. This means that I don’t have to prove anything, achieve anything, earn anything, fix anything; I am accepted “as is”. Eph. 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
- I am FORGIVEN. This means, that although I will struggle everyday with the flesh – sin- I am NOT guilty anymore because of JESUS. Col. 1:14 In whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
- I am SET FREE. This means, like a prisoner who is set free, I am no longer in bondage or condemned because of my sins. I don’t live in shame and guilt anymore! Romans 8:1-2There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life has set you[b] free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.
- I am ADOPTED into God’s family. This means that when I wonder where I belong; I can know that my Father is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He gives me a home, a family, an IDENTITY that is everlasting.
- I am LOVED. This means that HE loves me NO MATTER WHAT. I did nothing to earn his love, (I was dead in my sin), so I can do nothing to LOSE His Love! Rom. 5:8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Eph. 2:4-5 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses.
- I am REDEEMED – This means I am rescued from myself. This means my mistakes don’t define me, my past does not claim me nor do my weaknesses determine my future. Gal. 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us. In fact, redemption means I have been declared righteous despite it all because of my faith in HIM. Rom. 3:22 We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are.
As I begin this new year, I will sit down and write out goals as I always do; I will commit to God my plans because He is sovereign and only His plans will prevail! But, I will cherish the TRUTH that no matter how well I do with my goals, I AM all of the above because of JESUS!
2020 is a new chance to celebrate HIS AMAZING GRACE EVERY NEW DAY!!
Leave a Reply